Special Visitors

Ashmansworthy and Alminstone classes were very lucky to have three visitors today who shared their experiences from WWII with us. Mr Gordon Lott lived in the village during the war and told us what it was like when the evacuees arrived from London and other cities. His cousin, Ted Lott, was a child whose family had evacuees stay with him in Woolsery. Our last visitor, Mr Annand, was an evacuee from London who was billeted to a farm in Parkham when he was just four years old. Between them we learned about how the war affected children from 3 different perspectives. It was very emotional when Mr Annand was recalling how he was separated from his mother and sent off to the country, not knowing when, or if, he would see her again. The stories that they all shared with us are invaluable and gave all the children a detailed insight into what it was like during the war and how it still affects them nearly 80 years later.

The children asked very sensible questions to help them understand more about their experiences. They then shared their work with them back in class and talked to them about what they have been learning. It was a very positive experience for both our guests and the children; for the children to hear first-hand about what it was like during the war and for our guests to talk to the class about their understanding of the war. This will give us some fantastic ideas and inspiration for our writing.

78 responses on Special Visitors

1. Must say was not keen on spam. Would rather have had had bread and marg with sugar if there was any spare sugar, Condensed milk on bread was quite nice.Brawn was another one made of brains.Was not keen on that. My mum used to buy pigs head and pick the meat off that. Also pigs trotters. which were the bottom piece of the leg and the foot. Not much meat but cheap. Nothing wasted after the war.Sweets were on ration till 1952 or 1953. One good thing that happened after the war was school dinners.Even on School holidays you could have a dinner. ED

2. I am on holiday in Madeira and that is the reason i cannot go to your party.Weather not good with lots of rain. A little story about Parkham, a happy but also sad one.Sometime in 1941 my mum and dad came to stay at Parkham for two days to see us. I don,t remember much but I was very happy to see them.I remember it was a lovely summers day and I went for a walk with her.My dad stayed behind and was helping my brother Jim lay the straw down in the cow shed before the cows came in. My dad was very small and less than 5ft tall.Before the first world war he and his elder brother used to be Jockeys and he used to race and live in France. He had worked as a stable lad somewhere in Kent. The straw with racing horses has to be laid out nicely so my dad was doing that and my brother messed it all up and said this is for cows. Just a little memory. My dad said he never won a race and was not allowed to. It was he said over the sticks and not flat racing. Back to my story with my mum.We were walking and she started singing Somewhere over the Rainbow by Julie Garland. I never forgot it and it always upsets me when I hear.it. But seeing my mum was a really happy day in my childhood.My Dad was racing before the First World War which started 1914 and ended in 1918. He joined the army and was sent to Salonica.When the war ended he never went back to France and never raced again. He still loved horses and always had a small bet on them.Bye for now Ed. Hope the celebrations go well and wish I could be there.

3. Sorry I mean- Were you sad when you were told that you were going to be brought back to the place that you came from or would you be happy because you would finally see your family. I was at my music lesson during your talk at school so I don’t really know were you came from. Bye.

1. Hi Bo.
      Yes I was very happy when we could go home again. If you wanted to know more you could scroll down and I have written a lot and about it which you could read.Thank,s for writing. Eddy.Enjoy V.E.day celebrations,which I could be there.

4. Hi Eddy. It’s Bo here. I would like to ask you a question on V.E day because we are having a V.E day celebration on Friday- Do you remember what you were dressed in (a tie, a fancy shirt e.g)? It is fine if you don’t remember. I would also like to ask you a question on you evacuation- Were you sad when you were told that you were going to be evacuated because you would miss your evacuation family or would you be happy because you would finally see you real family again? That is all that I would like to know. Bye.

1. HI Bo Though I did not go to a V.E.day party, if I had I would not have been wearing a posh shirt and tie.Most ordinary people had little money and clothes were on rations and you had to have coupons to buy them.Some people sold there coupons to people who had more money and made do with there old clothes and made them last longer.The amount of coupons you got was not many.Lots of street markets in London had secondhand clothes stalls were you could buy clothes with no coupons of course.
      Bye for now.Eddy.

5. We’re doing a VE Day celebration. Did your have one of those? Maybe you could give us some tips of what they drunk and ate.
    I’m going to be a land girl. I think most other people are going to be evacuees.So far we have been making food at home.

1. Hi Keira. Very sorry cannot help .you but i did not have a V.E day celebration. Sure I would have remembered if I had. Wish I was there when you have yours but I will be on Holiday.Hope you all have a lovely time and shall look forward to seeing the pictures. As a Land Girl you will be digging for Victory they used to say.Eddy

6. Hi Mr annand It’s Keira here I was just wondering if after the war you saw your family again and if so did your mum miss you well I guess she did so did your brothers and sisters remember you it would of been a bit weird if they didn’t because you would have grown up.

7. Hi Eddy its lovely to hear your stories about being evacuated to Parkham. I live in Parkham and drive past Flaxmans everyday (it is still called Flaxmans) I live next to the butchers just down the road from Flaxmans. Do you remember the Honeys that own the butchers?

1. Hi Cody..I have answered your comment and a few more about Parkham,but replied on the email sent by the school. I don’t know if it will appear here but if not will write it again tomorrow.Thank,s for your interest and will keep in touch.
      P.s.Still a bit rusty with the computer.

2. HI Cody. I certainly do remember the butchers. I have walked there a few times with Betty and Mrs Jacobs. Not far from Flaxmans,Keep left and not going down hill to Bideford. I remember being well off the road which seemed d.own quite a long drive.You could carry on round and it would lead to the chapel.This is where we used to go to Sunday School.Or you could walk through the Churchyard which is what we did. Mr and Mrs Jacobs are buried there.Have you noticed where the new estate is it is called Jacobs Field after the Jacobs.We were not the only ones to be evacuated at Flaxmans.I remember two girls for a while,but don,t remember them being there long. I think one was call Jeniifer but all rather vague.About 10 years or more ago someone knocked at my door with his wife.Opening the door this chap said hullo Ed.I said sorry but I don,t know you.He said I remember you from Parkham. He came in and chatted for a couple of hour,s about Parkham and the war.He mentioned my brother Jim. i could not understand how he new us.He lives in Suffolk He went home because he was on holiday here.A few days later I had a letter and it was from him.When he was at Parkham he used to write letters home.His mother kept them all and gave them to him.He sent a copy of one to me and it said .Went to Woolsery with the trailer and p[cked up Ed and Jim and Joey,Joey was a Burrow who had the big farm at Woolsery.The letter continued saying to take us back to Parkham for the holidays. My memory is not that good because I do not remember that. I do remember Joey spending a lot of time at Parkham.One little story involving Joey and it was probably at the time we were having our holiday there.Opposite the house is a very long field and quite steep with a river running along the bottom.The river then runs through woods which must have belonged to Mr Jacobs.They had been cutting trees and there were logs piled up ready for bringing in for burning in winter.Logs steep hill into river,good idea roll logs down hill into river.After rolling logs into river which did work.Must have realized it was not a good idea though exciting.River not that deep so we tried to to get them back.Problem was Joe fell in and was soaking wet. Had to quickly go home and say what had happened. Early to bed with no tea that day.Never tried that again,The name of the man who knocked at my is Eddy Alexander,He his big Ed and I am Little Ed. We still keep in touch..Eddy.

8. My Grandma heard a pig die on the farm and she ran away and hid in a shed. It must have been horrible. Did you like it on the farm? What toys did you play with? It must have been horrible not knowing where your parents were.

1. HI Travis. Well that is what i call a hard question and hard to answer.No war would have meant the saving of millions of lives across the world and of course that would have been great. Wars are such a waste of time and good for nobody. Bye Travis.

9. I wanted to know if you made any friends while you were in Parkham? It must have been horrible not being with your family because you would miss them lots and you would have to try and be friends with the people you stayed with.
    Did you like staying on a farm? What did you play with?
    You must have been worried about what would have happened to your parents and it would have been very scary.
    I really enjoyed learning about the war and I will learn some more soon.

1. Hi Ella. Has I wrote in my other story my best friends were the Meverells. We had more but cannot remember their names. Though we missed our parents and brothers and sisters we never thought of anything bad happening to them. Because when we left home we were so young we forgot about our brothers and sisters,but of course not our mum and dad..Betty who i said was the maid and she was I think 18 was the one who looked after us most. Many years after the war was over and we saw her again she told me that I never stopped talking about my sister Maise.I had not remembered that.But i must have missed her a lot.My sister has told me since she used to look after us and when we were about i suppose 3 and my brother 4 she used to take us to a charity school or nursery.I t was called Macmilians and i think still a charity.now.Afterwards she had to go to school herself.She said they were always hungry.She is 92 now and has altimers .Before she got that I got all the information possible about the family from her. The rest of my family other than my brother Jim have all died.I never asked my mum and dad about their lives,but at least my sister has told me a lot and I have written it down for my children.Bye for Ella now and i will keep writing for as long as you are interested.Eddy

10. Which house did you like the best? Which house had the most people in? Did they have food that you liked? Did you make any friends? But thanks for coming into school I really enjoyed it, I can still remember your emotions.

1. HI Lily.
      You asked which house we liked best. A hard question to answer because they were totally different. Parkham was a lovely place to live and to us a luxury. We would really have liked to stay because we had got used to it and we knew and liked everyone and made a lot of friends .The last thing we wanted was to move and start all over again.Remember this was the third time we had moved and did not why and what was happening.The house,well cottage was very small and at one time nine people living there.Mr and Mrs Glover were very poor but really nice and looked after us well. More about Woolsery later.Of course if we had a choice we would have stayed at Parkham. Thanks again Lily for taking interest,Eddy.

11. Thank you for coming. It has helped us lots with our learning and was so interesting to imagine what it was like, it would be nice to see you again.

1. That is very nice of you James and would not be a problem because I live very near to the School.I see you have the same name as my brother who I was evacuated with. Do not know how i would have coped without him. Bye Jim.

12. I’ve being wondering, if evacuees could go back in time, would they still want to be an evacuee?

1. Hard to say, but it was an experience and think I that is what life is all about.If you had asked my brother Jim he would say yes because he did not want to go back after the war.Yes i think I would because so many people died and were injured in the war and we were safe and well looked after by everybody in Parkham and Woolsery. We were the lucky ones. Bye Meagan

13. Mr Annand, which home did you like the best
    Parkham or Hastings? And why? My cousin Richard
    had geese. They were nasty to everyone except
    for Richard. If you went past them they would hiss
    at you and peck you until you bled.

1. HI Lily.. Hastings was sad for us and we did not like it at all. Cannot remember much about it and we very unhappy there..My sister Maisie told us we were not treated well and they did not want us. Parkham was really nice and they looked after us well. Thanks Lily.
      Bye for now. When I was in Woolsery my nick name was nipper because I was so small and I quite liked that.

14. Thanks for the reply eddy. It must have been happy at times and sad some times at Parkham. But anyway I think it must be a great experience. Woolsery must have changed a lot. Can I ask you a couple of questions: What do you prefer… city or village? What was your favourite game? Thanks a lot, it was amazing.

1. Hi Travis. It has changed so much and later when I get to the stories of Woolsery I will talk about it.For a start there were no cars and cows used to wander through the village at milking time..When i was younger and started work in London it was good because there was so much do.The traffic there now is horrible and things have changed and I would not want to go back.By the way when I was 18 we had to do 2 Years National Service. My brother Jim did three years and sent to Hong Kong,Another parting and I missed him very much as we had never been parted before.I was very happy when he came back. Bye for now Travis.Eddy.

15. Hi Coby,
    That day was brilliant ,I loved his tales from his life.
    It will be good for him to forget what happened,
    but then again he wouldn’t be able to tell his
    stories!

1. Quite right Aiden.Though i was sad at times I would not want to forget the nice times and all the people who were so kind to us. Eddy.

16. Thanks for a great day I really wish I could do it again! Just one question what was it like live on the farm since you came from the city?

1. HI Jack I have written quite a bit a about Parkham and will be writing more later. Eddy.

17. I had a great day and learned so much. The facts really helped with my writing and I’m sure it helped everyone else as well.

18. Dear Eddy, Did you miss your brothers and sister when they went away for the war and did you see them and their new family again? How old were you when they left and you were evacuated? And were you evacuated with a brother or sister?
    please reply in a comment.

1. HI Mia.
      I left when I was four and my brothers and sisters where still there.I do no know when my two brothers joined the army and my sister joined the Womens royal Air force.Another of my brothers could not join the army because his eyesight was bad.Instead he worked in Woolwich Arsenal were they made all the arms for the war,Lots of bombs dropped on the arsenal and lots of people were killed.There was lots of bombing because the germans were trying to destroy the factory.Quiet a few of his friends where killed.He suffered a lot with his nerves and left london and went yo Gloucestershire to work making planes for the war.He married and when i next saw him he had two children and he came back to London must have been 8 years without seeing him.My sisters were both in london and also married when I came home.My brother George was still in Germany.\he had to stay there for another year when the war ended.\they were lo0king for some of Germans who had commited war crimes and were in civilian clothes.He also carried on into Belsen concentration camp. Your teachers would know about this.I never found out this till after he was dead.He never spoke about it.Once they all came back and they all lived in London and we saw a lot of them all and got to know each other again.It was nice having so many brothers and sisters.Eddy.

19. Last time I wrote we had arrived in Parkham. It was lovely big house on the Village Green.Not that i took all this in at the time but i now remember it vividly and it stays in my mind all the time.I went back years later and asked if i could look around.It was being changed .But it was has i remembered.The people who took us in were Mr and Mrs Jacobs and the name of the house was Flaxmans and I think still is.I remember Mr Jacobs had a big roll top desk were he kept is paperwork.When I went back and visited which must have been 25 years or more I mentioned the desk they had.They said it hag belonged to Mr Jacobs and he had left it when he sold the farm.They we really nice people and treated us fantastically.Opposite to the way we had been at Hastings.Mr Jacobs was Uncle George and his wife Olive.They also had a maid called Betty.We had our own bedroom which had electric light which not many people had in those days.I think they must have had a generator,We also had a nice stone hot water when we went to bed when it was cold.It was for us two children from london a luxury looking back.But still I remember that all i wanted was to go home to my mum.Well i have had good day today and played 18 holes of golf at Ivyleaf golf club.Got to keep fit to keep going..Oh nearly time to watch football so will say as they used to say on the BBC RADIO.good night children everywhere.To be continued. Eddy

1. Carrying on from Parkham.In the house it seemed to us it was very big with quite a lot of rooms.We used to enter the house from the back where there was a little alley or pathway.along there was an outhouse with racks which they used to put apples on to make them last longer.They did not have an orchard so d0 not know where they came from.The back door led to a entrance where you cold take off your muddy boots.It is also where at Christmas I remember a group of people came and sung carols This led to a big room with the Arbour where I remember being my first night I t had a big long table in it where we used to have our meals.Mr Jacobs sat at the head of the table.I used to sit at the side of the by him and watch him eat his breakfast;He always had a nice smile and often a cigarette in his mouth.Smoking was okay then and lots of people did.I have never smoked by the way.Well only once when we were at Woolsery when one of the older boys made a pipe from a cotton reel and a pencil with the lead taken out.We had dried clover buds and tried to smoke them.Not very nice and I have not smoked this.Dont try this please.We also tried smoking dry reeds and they were horrible.I do no know were the matches came from.We had a big farmyard in the other side of the house.Two cowsheds.A building to keep the hay dry for cows which we often played in.Another big shed which were used for taking the sheep in when they needed shearing and storing the fleeces.We had quite a lot of sheep on the farm.Remember jumping about on the piles of fleeces,not very nice because they were very greasy.Another building but can,t remember what was in it.Outside the building was some cages with ferrets in them.These were for when the farmers went out rabbit shooting.There were lots of rabbits about then so they had to be kept under control.The ferrets where to put down the rabbit burrows to drive them out.Sometimes the ferrets stayed in the holes and ate the young rabbits.We liked the rabbit shooting days,quite exciting.You would not put your fingers near the cage because there teeth were very sharp. Rabbit pie and rabbit stew were very nice I remember.People used to eat a lot of rabbit in the war.One more shed which was the pigsty.This was very small and I think only two pigs.Did watch the pig being killed,but won,t dwell on that because it was more than a bit squeamish.On the corner 0n the yard was the muck heap to put the muck from the cows and other rubbish Not far from the house.Another little outhouse was where the milk went through a machine to cool the milk down before putting in churns.On the other side of the house was another cowshed where the cows came to be milked,Further up was another building with big incubators in it for hatching out eggs.It was nice to see them when they first came out of there shells.I think the chickens must have been the main thing on the farm because there were hundreds if not thousands.Two very big hen houses and some which you could move about to different parts of the field.I remember once me and my brother creeping under one of the hen houses and finding lots of eggs.We collected them feeling very good with ourselves took them to Mr Jacobs and he gave a little laugh and told us to throw them in the dung heap.Off course they were all rotten,Big wall on two sides of heap and we had great fun throwing the eggs against walls.They were certainly very smelly and must have been under there a very long time.Mr and Jacobs very nice people and we were so lucky to be billeted there.There always plenty of things to do.Mr Jacobs also had quite a few fields with wheat and a field which grew Mangoes which were fed to cows.Just remembered another field where he grew sugar beet. In one of the the fields a little spring and small stream where you could could pick watercress. Not that I Iiked it. At the right time of the year I remember the field opposite the house which belonged to Mr Jacobs picking mushrooms for breakfast .Did not like them either,but do now.The nearest house to us was a little very small cottage.It was only a very short distance and in there lived the Meverall family. Jimmy and Freddie and they became our best friends and we spent most of our spare time together;There house was the first house and had an empty small outhouse and used to play in there.A few years ago we met up with them, it had been 50 years since we had seen them,and spent a few hours talking about old time. Brings back another memory.When we were in Parkham going out and playing around a big lake which now know is waterworks.There were buildings on it and steps which were under cover.
      It seems there were loads and of frogs.In the lakesI had thought had seen snakes.Over the years since I thought of course they must have been eels.JIm and Fred used to be with us so when we saw them again I asked them if they remembered. Not only did they but said that is where their father worked and that is why we used to go there.They said there was a load of frogs and what I had seen were snakes.Probably grass snakes.I have had a grass snake in my garden and have seen him going into my pond.Another memory .For the pigs they used to boil whole potatoes and mix in a bucket with meal,I loved the smell and often thought I would like to eat them,but i never did.Did not want to make a pig of myself.Small joke.Oh on farm we had two geese at one time and it was best to keep out of their way.That.s all for now. Eddy.

20. Hi Eddy here again.A little more about being evacuated.In 1939 war was declared.At my age i did not understand of course.I was four and my brother was five.Normally you were not evacuated till you were five.My brother and I were sent to Hastings which is about 60 miles from London.Memory of Hastings is not good.My brother and i just remember being very sad and unhappy.The family who we went with I do,not think they wanted us.They had no children and I suppose it was difficult for them.My mum said were not treated well.After being there six months very unhappily my mum came and took us back home,We were not home long when we along with a lot of other children were put on a train with a small case or bag and a gas mask and sent to Devon.It seemed late at night we were taken to a Hall in Parkham and People from the Village came and picked out who they wanted.Being so small I was picked out quickly and they also took my brother.Some brothers and sisters were parted and that must have very hard.We had not far to go because the house was on the Village Green very near to the Hall.I remember being laid out with a big blanket next to a nice warm range fire.Cant remember the morning.We were in Parkham and not knowing then but in for much happier times,
    Bye for now.More to come if it is of interest.
    Eddy

1. Thank you for getting back to the children, Eddy, it’s very much appreciated. It has amazed them how vivid your memories of the evacuation are and you’ve really helped bring the whole topic into their experience and make it relevant for them. I know the children will be fascinated to hear of any more recollections you may have!

21. Eddy the evacuee.
    Today I received your folder and letters and was rather overwhelmed and rather emotional.Thank you so much I will treasure it and pass it on to my children at a later date.Hopefully a long time yet
    P.s/ Ashton you asked if I was the youngest in the family.There were two boys younger than me and n.One died at six months old and the other was only 2 weeks old.I had four older brothers and two sisters.When war started they were old enough and two of my brothers joined the army and one of my sisters the Womens Royal Air Force.They all survived the war.Of course when I got home they were no longer there because they had all married..Once again thanks for your kindness.

1. It was such a pleasure to talk to the lovely children of Woolsery School who showed so much interest and so well behaved. Also enjoyed speaking to them afterwards and seeing there great work.Thanks one and all for the opportunity.Eddy.

22. Ashmanworthy and Alminstone class were very lucky to has 3 visitors for world war 2.

One was an evacuee who come to stay in Parkhan farm for 18 months but when he was gone the house fell on this mum but she was ok.

The two people live in the village and one had an evacee say with him.

23. Yesterday we had visters which talked about WW2. Sang songs about Hitler also there was 400 bomber in war.

24. They played little war games Alminstone against Ashmansworthy.They sung rudly to Hitler. It would change my life because evacuees would play with all my toys. It would be over crowded and you woudn’t have enough games.

1. HI Cody. It is difficult for you to understand but the times before the war in the 1930s were very hard and people had big families.My dad even though he fought in world one was out of work for a long time.It was only the war that gave people more work..Two of my brothers and my elder sister spent time in childrens homes because my parents could not afford to keep us in even the basics, I am afraid two of them were badly treated.There was little help for the unemployed.Even in Devon times were . hard.What I am trying to say ordinary people had few possessions and you would not have had to worry because you would not have much to share.Of course it is very hard for you to understand which is not a bad thing.By the way my Dad started work when he was 12 years,can you imagine that.I started work when I was 15,Thanks for writing.Any more questions and only happy to answer if I can.Better than falling asleep watching Television. Bye for now.Eddy.

25. people came in and sang songs. they also played war games when they were a kid. I would hate to have other people in my house. IT would be embarasing because they would be dressed really good.

26. Yesterday Ashmansworshy and Almanstone had special visitor come into school and talk about world war two.One of them Mr Annand was an evacuee. It must of been hard for him leaving his family and freinds, I would have hated being evacuated. I learnt that they sang silly songs about Hitler and they played army games I also learnt a lot more.

27. I think it would be crammed at school and a bit scary because you dont know who they are.I was shocked that he was only 4 when he got evacuated,and that he got evacuated twice and stayed with his brother.And they also sang songs about Hitler and played games about the war.

28. Yesterday 3 visitors came in.Mr Annand was an eevacue when he was 4.It was verry emotional.they used to have pretend wars.Woolsery must be very busy.thank you for reading (:

1. HI Travis.After living in London it seemed far from busy but for the village people it must have been.There was about 130 evacuees in and around the \village;I did not know that at the time but have found out since.Must have been very difficult for them to take care of us.We all played together and did not know who were evacuees or who were locals.Everyone were good to us and we had happy times here,More about that later.
      Bye Travis and thanks for writing.

29. It was amazing I learnt lots of new things and they helped us answered some question we never knew before. It was funny when Mr Annand was singing a song about how they hate Hitler and victory with come to us. It upset me that all the evacuees got pulled away from there homes and family.I would hate that to happen to me it would be so upsetting. Mr Annand told us he didn’t even know what was happening. If I had evauees stay with me it would be a bit weird because I dont even know them. Going to school wouldn’t be much better because there was only 3 class rooms and it would be so squished. But Mr annand said he was a bit happy to leave and go to Parkham because his mum would get some alone time and her got new nice clothes and friends.

30. Yesterday three special visitors come to our school to talk about there experiences in the second world war. It was very interesting. I was fascinated by all of their stories. We learned all about what they did and how they felt through the war. I was surprised when Mr. Annand got emotional about being taken away from his parents. I can imagine how hard it would have been to fit in at school!!!!!

31. Yesterday three special vistors came to tell us about the seond world war.They talked about the evacuees and moving one of the men was an evacuee and the places where Mr Annand went.

32. We learnt that it is a lot harder than we thought being a evaucee. you can also get evacuated twice.Also some people made little songs about Hitler. It would be alot more crowded at shool.

33. He sang silly songs about Adolf Hitler . And he played war games this guy fell out a tree. How do you think it would be like to get evacuees from london? It will be hard because you would have to look after them and you would have to put there gas mask on .How do you think you would feel to be an evacuee? A bit scared because you wouldn’t know who your owner would be and they may not be nice.

1. Hi Harry.The story about the boy falling out of the tree.Some boys made out you had to climb this tree and drop from one of the branches. It was the field behind the school.Then he would be able to join there gang.He fell from the tree and must have hit is head and was knocked out for a while.A few boys helped him into School and he was okay alright.Eddy.

34. I learnt that they sung songs about Hitler and that they entertained each other.Mr Annand had been evacuated twice.His sisters and brothers died.they played games to also entertain there selves. I was surprised by the way that Mr Annand got all emotional.I am very surprised that they remembered from world war 2.I felt very sorry for Mr Annand because he got torn away from his parents. If I had evacuee come It would make me feel happy but sad at the same time. Lily

35. Yesterday Ashmansworthy and Alminstone classes met three men from WWII they were called Gorden lott Ted Lott and Mr Annard. Mr Annand was an evacuee and was billeted in a big farm house in Parkham. Mr Annard said as soon as he got in the house door they wrapped him up by the fire. Luckly he got put with his brother who was one year older than him. Back then they didn’t have games so they entertained there self by playing games and singing songs about Hitler and WWII. Ted lott had 2 evacuees stay with him . School in London would have been very empty but schools in like Woolsery and Parkham were a lot busier as evacuees were going to school there as well . Gorden Lott didn’t have evacuees or was an evacuees he was just someone around in Woolsery who joined in with every thing in the village. Everyone in Ashmansworthy and Alminstone asked questions and we found out alot.

36. it would be HORRIBLE for a evacuees to stay because they would play whith MY toys and they would wonder around the house at school whith lots of eacuees it would be crouded and hard to concertrate because everyone will be tallking if i was evecuated it would be HORRIBE because i wont be able to see my fammilly and i donte know if they are all write!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. I would feel really MAD if some evacues came all the way from London and i had to share all my lovely toys with them .And then you had to go to SCHOOL with some london kids .

38. We were lucky to have 3 people from ww2 come and talk to us . It was very sad and upsetting for evacuees. Mr.Annand was an evacuees from London.He was sent to a farm in Parkham.They played games about the war and sang songs about Hitler. Ted Lott had some evacuees come and stay with him.It would be strange having random children come and stay with you.You would have to share everything!!How would you feel? Gordon Lott went to school with evacuees .How would you feel if double your class came tomorow?!

39. The visit yesterday was really good. I learnt that they did actually have a positive experience when they were evacuated they made lot’s of friends, they helped on the farm and played games between the Alminstone gang and the Woolsery gang.

I wouldn’t want evacuees and I would want evacuees.
    I would want them because I’d be doing my part and I wouldn’t want them because I’d suddenly have to share everything.

40. Mr Annand told us all about how old he was in the war and he told us his life story when the war started and that he had to move to 2 diffrent places. If i had a evacuee at my house i would hate it to bits and i would have to get rid of all my toys because there would be no room at the house and we would have hardly any thing to eat.

1. Hi Hanna. You are quite right about it being crowded.In Woolsery When we arrived from Parkham to live in Woolsery we were taken to a tiny cottage in Back st.which was then called Sunnyside.No2..Once again we did not know what was happening.There was already four boys there.Two lots of brothers,Tom and Adrian,and Ken and Ivor.One tiny bedroom and we were all in there.Me and my brother Jim and Ken in one bed.Adrian an Ivor in another bed and Tom who was the oldest,I think he was twelve in the corner on his own.,Quite a shock because on the farm in Parkham we had our own bedroom.No room for toys or things,but of course we had none anyway.No water or electric,but that,s another story for later because we have all the stories from our time in Parkham.
      Bye for now.

41. I cant imagen what it would be like to be evacuated.It must be so sad and worrieng not knowing where the rest of your family are.

42. It must have been amazing to hear first hand accounts of that time. It’s so important for kids to understand how different things were, and how it actually wasn’t that long ago, in the grand scheme if things.

Skip to toolbar