Newsletter: 10th May 2019
Posted on May 10, 2019 | By Mr Cole
Miss Butler and Ashmansworthy Class have arranged a Community Beach Clean for their authentic outcome of their topic this term. This will take place on Saturday 8th June from 2pm to 3:30pm at Westward Ho! Beach. We hope you and your family will be able to come and participate in this event which has been organised in collaboration with Surfers Against Sewage. Children must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Dogs are only allowed on certain areas of the beach-please check if you are planning to bring your dog. We will meet at the slipway on Westward Ho! Beach at 2pm. For further information, please see Miss Butler.
Burscott and Stroxworthy are delighted to have Amy Winfield, children’s author, in on Thursday 23rd May to give us a workshop to improve our writing skills. Discounted books will be available to buy and an order form has been sent home. Books can be purchased and signed on the day. This will be a really exciting opportunity for the childrenn to meet a real-life author, and maybe grow some aspirations to become one themselves in the future.
Next week, of course, is KS2 SATS week. The Year 6 children will be taking their tests on each morning apart from Friday and this will, of course have an effect throughout the school. All group work areas in school will be being used and other opportunities like peripatetic music lessons have been moved to afternoons on other days.
If your child is in Year 6, please rememember that a good night’s sleep and some breakfast each day will help settle nerves. We are very proud of the progress the year group has made this year and we know that each and every child will do their very best.
- Monday: Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
- Tuesday: Reading
- Wednesday: Maths papers 1 and 2
- Thursday: Maths paper 3
Huge congratulations to the Y5 childrenn who finally completed their Bikeability this week! Their original sessions were back in the winter, but were snowed off so they had to complete the course with instructor Richard this week. Richard was really impressed with how much knowledge the group had retained from the earlier sessions and was able to move quickly to complete everyone’s Level 2 Award. All children will have a certificate pack to bring home this evening. As there has been a change in the organisation of Bikeability -Halfords are now Official Sponsor- the badges which go with the award have been redesigned and are not yet available. As soon as we receive them, we will of course pass them on to the children concerned.
Northam Care Trust, One of our Partners in the Atlantic coast Co-operative Trust will be working with the school shortly to bring an extra dimension to our outdoor education programme. In the meantime, here are two events they have planned which may be of interest to you:
Well done to everyone Who has gained a Headteacher Award this week for impressing their teachers in class…
- Cranford: Oliver – getting 5 smiley faces every day this week; Scarlett – writing beutifully using finger spaces
- Burscott: Paddy – independently using a dictionary to find a word for his writing; Emily – using the working wall to find spellings for her writing
- Stroxworthy: Lola – perseverance when things get tricky in her learning; Willow – engaging with her reading and home and school
- Alminstone: Billy – a thoughtful piece of homework on the invention of the telephone; Dan – for working hard in his English, maths and homework
- Ashmansworthy: Charlie E – showing great resilience with his learning this term and trying very hard to produce best work; Sam – showing great resilience in his learning and making good progress in reading
- Monday: SATS: Spelling, Punctuation & Grammar
- Tuesday: SATS: Reading
- Wednesday: SATS: Maths papers 1 and 2
- Thursday: SATS: Maths paper 3
With best wishes,
Matt Cole, Headteacher.