Newsletter: 18th October 2019
Posted on October 18, 2019 | By Mr Cole
As you know, we hold regular lessons with all classes about being safe online at an age appropriate level. Much of the material we use in our lessons comes from the Thinkuknow website, which offers free and updated information for children, parents and teachers alike. You can access ThinkUKnow HERE
However, with the new version of Fortnite just released, we are passing on this important piece of information which may help adults understand a bit more about the game, how the new version is different, and what the risks to your child are. Fortnite has a PEGI rating of 12, meaning it’s not suitable for children under the age of 12 (or 13 in the U.S.) but we are aware of quite a number of our children who access the game regularly. Please see the information sheet attached (You can right-click and save the image if you’d like to view it in a more user-friendly way)
New Lunch Menu
Our new lunch menu is in book bags today, and also online on the school’s Website. This menu will run until the end of the Spring Term, 2020 and you’re welcome to order in advance for any period of time up until that point. Please remember if you’re paying cash, this must be in a named, sealed envelope (we can supply envelopes if you need them) and cheques are payable to Devon County Council. You can also pay for meals online via our Tucasi/ScoPay payment Portal which can be found HERE
Ashmansworthy Miniature Pony Centre Visit
Unfortunately the venue for Ashmansworthy’s trip next month, the Miniature Pony Centre, ceases trading at the end of half term week. This means that the visit will no longer be possible. If you’ve already paid towards the cost of the visit, you can either ask for the balance to be transferred to School Lunches/Uniform or have a full refund. Please advise Sue or Tina in the office which you’d like to do. If we’ve not heard from you by the planned trip date (6th November) we will credit your balance to school lunches automatically. We realise that your latest school account letter will show this amount as Owing as the letters were generated before the trip was cancelled – please ignore this line on your account.
Thank you to everyone who has sent in Aldi tokens for our Kit For Schools Poster. We’re doing really well at the moment and have a good chance of completing the poster and collecting our free kit. Tokens are being given out until early November, so please keep collecting them and ask other family members to as well. we have over 200 stickers iin place at the moment, with under 100 spaces left to fill… please send any stickers in after the half term break, thanks.
What’s on at The Plough, Torrington for families during Half Term:
- Weds 23 Oct – Shadow Puppetry Workshop – (5+ Years & Families) – 2pm-4.30pm £7.50
- Weds 23 Oct – Raventales Present ‘A Goat In Your Garden & A Cat With A Cough’ (Shadow Puppetry Show) – 5.30pm £10 (or £7.50 for workshop attendees)
- Thurs 24 Oct – The Moon Landing – Play In A Day (8-12 Years) – 10am-4pm (3.30pm Sharing Performance) To celebrate 50 years of the moon landing, join us to create our own unique adventure to the moon, with Neil Armstrong, his crew and of course help from the space station control room! Bring this story to life through drama! £10/£8
- Fri 25 Oct – Plough Play Story – (3-5 Years) – 11am-12noon – Bring a story to life through drama! £3
- Film – Keep an eye out for ‘Dora & The Lost Cities Of Gold’ & Horrible Histories: The Movie!
Come play Badminton for free at ARC on Sunday 3rd November 2019. Whether you’re a beginner basher or a seasoned swinger it’s a great time to come use our fantastic new facility free of charge. With free kids coaching and adult social taster sessions there is something on offer for all the family – we’ll even provide all the equipment for you to use! Look out for great special offers on our incredible Badminton memberships and our BRAND-NEW weekly kids Badminton coaching!
For more info visit: http://www.atlanticracquetcentre.co.uk/opendays
Free Tots Tennis Tasters
Thursday 31 October 10-11am
Atlantic Racquet Centre will be offering free Tennis Taster Sessions to pre-schoolers aged 3-5 at Affinity Devon (formerly Atlantic Village). These sessions work on agility, balance, co-ordination and speed but most importantly are loads of fun! No need to book, join us in the Amphitheatre – we hope to see you there.
Thank you to everyone who booked their child in for flu vaccinations this week. They took place on Wednesday morning.
If your child missed theirs because they were away, or if you’ve since decided to opt for the vaccinations, Virgin Care are running Community Clinics as a catch-up service. You need to call their dedicated telephone helpline on 03002470082 to book an appointment. Clinics are being held at Springfield Court, Roundswell, Barnstaple on Weds 30th October, Thurs 27th November, Mon 9th December and Thurs 12th December (but this last date will clash with our School Production!). Alternatively, there are clinics at Holsworthy Hospital on Wednesday 13th November and Wednesday 11th December (but this last date will also clash with our School Production!). Please note that walk-in sessions are not available, you need to book in advance. Also, unless your child is in a high risk group, your GP surgery will not be able to administer the vaccination.
Letters for every child telling you their present attendance rate will be going home today. Please remember that the Department for Education classifies any attedance rate over 95% as “Good” and a rate under 90% as Persistent Absence; this will attract the attention of the Education Welfare Officer. Whilst it’s still early in the schoool year so even a short bout of illness has a large impact on overall percentages, please remember attendance at school every day is really important to stop your child falling behind in their learning and social interaction. Thank you for your ongoing support in ensuring your child attends whenever they can.
Well done to everyone who got a Headteacher’s Award this week for outstanding work with their class:
- Cranford Class: Jenson – all the writing you have done this week!; Tommy – completing all of your challenges.
- Burscott Class: Joseph – improving the quality and speed of his work; Georgia – improving her handwriting during our Penguin sequence writing
- Stroxworthy Class: Jackie – always working hard, especially in maths this week where he has really persevered; Farley – listening well and always doing his best.
- Alminstone Class: Maisy – resilience – always keeping going even when it’s hard; JJ – working really hard to improve his reading and writing
- Ashmansworthy Class: Chloe – being a great help to children in the class who need it; Dominic – for always being kind and helping children if they are upset.
- Monday 28th October – School reopens
- Tuesday – Mrs Kersey out all day, Mrs Dobson supply
- Wednesday – Cranford & Burscott Classes to Combe Martin Wildlife Park. Mr Cole out all day.
- Thursday –
- Friday – Firework Fayre and Bonfire at School from 5pm
Happy Half Term
Whatever you’re doing over the break, have a super half term, everyone. School reopens on Monday 28th October.