Newsletter: 1st May 2020

Rumours of Reopening…

I am sure you’ll have seen in the news many rumours about the likely way in which schools will eventually reopen, and when that may be. It would be just wonderful to say things are now safe enough to start again where we left off, but at the moment, there is no sign of that being a reality. We have been consistently told that, when the time is right schools will be given time to prepare and as yet we have received no such instruction.

It is almost inconceivable that schools will re-open before what would have been half term, but once June arrives it may well be that we are asked to do so in small increments.  As soon as I have more information, I will of course tell you more, but at the moment that is all I have I’m afraid.

Whatever happens with a gradual reopening, we will maintain both Kennerland Club for Key Worker families and Remote Learning for those who are still not attending.

We have had some superb examples of home learning sent in this week. It really is lovely to keep up to date with the creativity that is coming out of the present situation! Ashmansworthy Class have been doing lots of work related to the sinking of Titanic in 1912, and both the writing I have seen on Google Classroom and the art and science work (examples below…) have been great!

Ravi took on the London Marathon 2.6 challenge, doing a whole range of things based on the number 26 from start jumps to sit ups, picking 26 dandelions for the tortoise and riding 26 laps of the garden too… he managed to raise a wonderful £15.60 for Children’s Hospice South West. Well done, Ravi.

Alfie and Izzy have been playing ukulele this week  and Owen has created a superb Creeper with a K’nex frame and paper covering. Alyssa has been making smoothies (which look delicious) and Faris has been doing some great maths work and working on his core muscles with his plank challenge.

Well done to this week’s Virtual Headteacher Award winners…

• Cranford: Jenson – Amazing sentence writing this week; Bella – A lovely letter to her Grandad
  • Burscott: Melanija – consistent effort with everything she attempts; Henry – for making Mrs Kersey and his mum laugh with his comments as he tackles remote learning
  • Stroxworthy: Dexter and Isla – Fantastic handwritten newspaper reports about a Big Bad Wolf attacking a Grandmother using great vocabulary to describe the events of the ordeal
  • Alminstone: JJ and Finley –  engaging really well with all their remote learning.
  • Ashmansworthy: Grace – helping Daisy understand her maths this week and giving Miss Butler really helpful feedback!; Ashton – for producing some lovely writing about the Titanic and making good progress with his maths this week

Have a lovely weekend, everyone.

With best wishes

Matt Cole, Headteacher

Skip to toolbar