Woolsery Primary School: Mathematics
Maths at Woolsery Primary School
Our aim is to equip all children with the skills and confidence to solve a range of real life problems through fluency with numbers and mathematical reasoning. Children are encouraged to see the mathematics that surrounds them every day and enjoy developing vital life skills in this subject.
We are determined that:
- Every children will be numerate, regardless of their background, needs or abilities.
- All children will make good progress to meet or exceed age related expectations.
- Children are able to develop mathematical vocabulary, fluency and reasoning along with a love of problem solving in relevant, real-life contexts. This includes using practical, outdoor maths.
- Children understand that mathematics is all around us: it underpins much of what we do throughout our lives.
- Children are provided with experiences and learning activities that give opportunities for a deep understanding of maths – working at a mastery level in maths means that a child can apply their skills in solving a wide range of problems independently, applying them to cross-curricular themes and work in other subjects.
- All children develop the skills and processes necessary to use maths as part of their everyday lives: teaching skills in a range of contexts that provide purpose and meaning, making mathematical experiences enjoyable, practical, relevant and realistic.
- We provide experiences which enable our children to construct and develop their own understanding of mathematics and reasoning, reflecting on their learning and making connections across different areas.
We are proud to be working closely with the Jurassic Maths Hub and follow their underlying principle for the teaching of mathematics:
The intention of teaching for mastery is to give all children access to equitable classrooms; classrooms where they can all participate and be influencial, and classrooms where they are encouraged and supported to develop a deep connected and sustained understanding of the mathematics being explored
This is achieved in part through the 5 ideas of Mastery:
- Representation and Structure
- Mathematical thinking
These 5 ideas can be visualised as follows:
Progression of Learning
In order to ensure progression across the school, we follow the National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics (NCETM) materials which can be found below:
|Addition and Subtraction||Algebra||Mathematical Vocabulary||Measurement||Multiplication & Division|
|Place Value||Position, Direction & Movement||Properties of Shape||Ratio and Proportion||Statistics|
Long Term Plan for Maths:
We use White Rose Maths as a basis for our Mastery teaching in maths and units are spread across the 6 years of Key Stages 1 & 2. Teachers are free to use materials from other sources, such as NCETM and Jurassic Maths Hub in structuring their lessons and designing tasks based on prior learning and experiences of the children in their mixed-age classes. Our long term plan may be found here: Woolsery Primary School Long Term Maths Plan